Monday, November 06, 2006

Last Love Post... I Promise!

A long time ago someone (and I apologize for not remembering who it was) was asking how you know when you're in love. And then just the other day, Stacie brought up a similar subject. So it reminded me of the post I promised to put up ages ago and never did. What is love and how do you know when you're in it. Well, to me...

Love lives. It is active and strong and creative and slightly sneaky. It knows just when to come around, but funny how it never knows when to leave. Love is selfless and generous. Love is both peaceful and tumultuous. Love is patient and safe. Love can take your breath away and then give it back so that you can fly. Love is a thief. It steals your time and your thoughts and your energy and your sanity and your will and your heart. But it gives you safety and peace and comfort and satisfaction and stability. I love love. I live for love. I trust love. I need love. I want love.

You know you're in love when.... you wake up in the middle of the night just to smile at something he said earlier in the day. You hang up the phone and search for a reason to call right back. You look at him looking at you looking at him. And then you say, "Nothing." You reach over to touch his arm just to remind yourself that he isn't a figment of your imagination. You are angry but it doesn't matter because no matter what, there is a lesson behind it. Your worst day with him is better than your BEST day with anyone else. He gets you. He laughs at you. He laughs with you. He points out your mistakes, but he also tells you how to make them better. You love his walk. You love his smile. You love that face he makes when you're telling yet another one of your "can you believe this shit?" stories even though he has heard them all before. He is beautiful. Not just beautiful in the physical, but beautiful in the ways that matter. You think he's sexy in his flannel pajamas and favorite white tee. You love the way he breathes that "mannnn....." when he first settles into you. You imagine your life without him in it and you have to sit down. You say that you'd be okay if it doesn't work out as long as you can still be friends... and you mean it. You ask him if he thinks that girl is pretty, he says yes, and you say, "me too." You love him because he loves you. That's what it is and that's how you know.

6 comments:

Jameil said...

tear! love it x. omg i just sat here w/this dreamy look on my face. so hilarious. my mom thanked the bf for loving me so much. how beautiful is that? i will say this... he has a shirt i HATE. he asked me if i threw it away and i said, "no but i should have." so i love him but i don't love his ugly clothes! lolol

GreatWhyte said...

Tres beautiful Jameil... that's the reaction I imagine my mom will have one day :) Yeah, sometimes gotta look past the ugly clothes!

The Very Reverend Ace Clemmons, Jr. said...

i thought ugly clothes were *in*....

ace

Adei von K said...

YES X!!! All the ABOVE X!

OMG, hanging up the phone and searching for a reason to call back! and of course as long as you can still be friends! girl, i might as well cut and paste that post in here!! So on point man. i love it and i love love =)

La said...

How DARE you not remember my post! LOL

On another note, YES! YEEEESSS!!! All those things I find myself doing right now. It's crazy

GreatWhyte said...

Lauren - girl, I'm sorry. You know my mind is bad!!!