Tuesday, September 12, 2006

B-Day in Review

So everybody knows by now that I spent all day Friday chasing Beyonce around New York City like the true stalker that I am (pause, PYT). So after a little subtle reminder that I had yet to blog about my experiences, here we go...
4:00 a.m. I bolt out of bed and realize that today is the day I FINALLY get to meet my beloved Beyonce! Skip all the boring details, but the final word is that I couldn't decide what to wear that wouldn't make me look like a gigantic cow standing next to her, so I ended up running VERY late. I knew I wasn't going to make it by train in time to meet the Good Morning America guy by 6:15, so I hopped in my car and decided to brave the Holland Tunnel on a weekday morning.
6:25 a.m. I finally get to the corner of 44th and 7th where I'm supposed to sign in and get my VIP wristband. There are a RIDICULOUS number of people standing in line, and they are all looking at me trying to figure out why I am so dressed up at this Godforsaken hour of the morning (duh, its Beyonce!). And in tribute to Jameil who ALWAYS describes her outfits in painstaking detail for us, here is my attempt at the same. I had on a cream colored wife beater with beige lace around the neck and my best "uh oh" jeans (ladies, yall know the ones). I chose my favorite (and never before worn) cafe au lait-colored suede jacket (it was CRAZY cold that morning) to go on top, but the piece de resistance (yes, bitches... that's FRENCH!) was my shoes. I had on some cream linen House of Dereon peep toe pumps with gold and blue beading around the toes and down the back of the heel (these are the same shoes, but mine were cream)
8:15 a.m. After I thought I was going to DIE in anticipation, Beyonce's all girl (and ALL FABULOUS) band hit the stage along with Diane Sawyer and Robin Roberts (the former looking VERY puzzled as to why all of these Black people were screaming and chanting "B-Daaaaaaaaaay!!" at the tops of their lungs!). And just as I got out my camera and put my finger on the button in "ready mode," it happened.... (angels singing in the background!)... Beyonce walked on stage. SIGH..... she had on this bad ass jungle print dress with some gold jewelry, and her hair (which my linesister had firmly instructed me to inspect for signs of a wig) was FABULOUSLY hand spiraled. She sang Deja Vu (minus Jay, what a downer), Crazy in Love, and Irreplaceable before she left to change clothes so they could tape a segment for the Saturday morning show). When she came back, she had on this plain black jersey V-neck dress with this silver wide necklace and these BAD ASS Jimmy Choos (yes, ladies..... the uh oh in Choos). SHe performed Greenlight for the taping and when she was getting ready to leave the stage, everyboldy started chanting for Ring The Alarm. Guys, I'm telling you.... she's only about 5'5" and she is so small these days since losing all of that weight for Dreamgirls, but she has such an incredible stage presence. She seemed so genuinely happy and humbled by all of the love she was getting from the crowd - she even signed this little girl's cast who was standing in the front row :) Anyway, she said that she was really tired (she had just gotten back from Japan a few days earlier) and she wanted to rest her voice, but she knew we wanted to hear Ring the Alarm, so she would sing "a little bit of it." A little bit turned into the whole song, and then she left the stage.
2:45 p.m. (This is turning into a much longer saga than I meant for it to, so I apologize to those of you who could really care less). I spent the last several hours in Times Square and having lunch at Planet Hollywood because I didn't want to be too far away from the venue for the meet and greet in case they started to form a line (you know I had to get the good seats!). I got into a little argument with some stupid chicks from Queens which I won't even bother telling you about because it was just SO stupid. Fast forward... we get inside, go up to the fourth floor, I RUN for the front table because it is in the center of the floor and DIRECTLY in front of where Beyonce was going to be sitting with Ed Lover for the radio show. Sure enough, a few minutes later Beyonce walks in (with this cute little House of Dereon top on... I don't care for too much of their stuff, but this was cute). During one of the commercial breaks, I decided that I HAD to talk to her, so I yelled out "Beyonce!" She looks up and I said, "Look at my shoes!" (I know, it was pitiful, but I wanted her to talk to me!). She looks real puzzled about why in the world some regular girl would want her to look at her shows, so I lifted my foot up and said it again. She looked down at the shoes, and this huge smile crosses her face. She said, "Hey! Those are MY shoes! They look soooo cute on your feet!" At this point, yall know I was cheezin like I had just won the lottery or something... Beyonce said my shoes were cute :) Anyway... they let us take pictures with her, but only in groups of six. So unless you were standing immediately next to her, you ended up with a worthless picture of Beyonce, you, and five random people you had never met. So of course, I immediately start scheming on how I can get next to her so that I can just crop those other losers out of the picture when I get home! When I go up on the stage for the picture, she said, "Hey! It's the girl with the cute shoes!" I smiled and said thank you, and then she said (and this almost made me pass out), "You are so beautiful!" Yall, I'm telling the truth... Beyonce Giselle Knowles said that I (little old me) was beautiful. I was DONE! Never mind that she was probably just being polite or that she was just searching for something to say since I was towering over her with this goofy ass smile on my face... she said that I was beautiful, and THAT, my friends, will go down in history as the best compliment I have EVER received! After the picture was taken and I left the stage, she answered a few more questions and then she had to leave because she was signing CD's at Macys in Herald Square.
Sooooooooooooo... after much ado, that was my B-Day story. I know it probably wasn't very exciting for yall to read, but I had the time of my life. I never thought that I would get close enough to Beyonce to tell her how much I love her music and how much I appreciated the fact that she is every bit as genuine and warm as she seems in the media. But I did, and by tomorrow afternoon, I should have the photo to prove it (hope it came out okay!). If so, I will post it in another blog. I took a ton of pictures, so if you want to see them, just email me and I will send you the link. I didn't cry (thank God!) like some people did, but I had this HUGE smile on my face the ENTIRE day. Plus I met two really cool girls at the concert and now maybe I'll have someone to hang out with on one of my few days off. YEAH!

8 comments:

Adei von K said...

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH!!!!!

OMIGOSH, THAT WAS SO BOMB!!! BOMB ASS POST!!! I SOOOOOOOOOO WOULD'VE DONE THE SAME THING! Jean Grae and I had on the same shirt at the talib concert in Orlando and you best believe I was HOLLERIN!!! Yeah, i got that good shout out and was DONE!!!!!
GET IT MONIQUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. i got the AWESOME pictures!!!!

Jameil said...

that was fab! i LOVE your blue and gold shoes *wink* and b's shirt was cute too. i normally hate house of dereon but those were adorable. robin! that's her name. you looked so cute in those pics. i missed the pic of you and b tho. and........i got a shout! yes! i didn't know she was so tiny. (i should be quiet b/c i'm 5'1.. but still!) lol glad you had a great time! :D

GreatWhyte said...

Stacie - I am SO glad that someone else shares my excitement! Plus my shoes were BANGIN (if I do say so myself), so I just HAD to speak up! Glad you got the pictures. Jameil - sorry, but boo on the blue and gold (*hugs anyway*). and thanks for the love. I was just so excited I could hardly breathe!

K said...

Kudos dollface! And thank you for the shoe commentary... I have an addiction. What a great post. I am not a super Beyonce fan (will jam in the car and in the club.. but won't schlep to Circuit City for the cd) but I am so glad that you got to meet someone you are a fan of.

Smooches!

La said...

LOL WOW. You have got to be the best dressed and most together Beyonce groupie of allll time. LOL So funny. You're better than me. I met Halle Berry, whom I ADORE, and could barely form intelligent sentences, espcially after I almost mowed her down in the hallway. So congrats, lol

Jameil said...

you hater. :P

Setta B. said...

Are you kidding me? That was a great post! I kept reading to see what happened next. Great thing you wore her shoes.

GreatWhyte said...

Russatta, I know... it was SOOOOOO wonderful. And if I do say so myself, the shoes were a stroke of genius! I have had them for months and never wore them :)