Saturday, January 26, 2008

Here I am, Baby... Signed, Sealed, Delivered... I'M YOURS!

I just watched Barack Obama deliver a speech in South Carolina after he was declared the winner of the South Carolina democratic Primary. I really hadn't come down on either side of the fence in this Presidential race. I like what I see in Senator Obama. I respect his hustle, and I can't help but admire any Black man in America who stands up and says (while simultaneously actually BELIEVING) that he can be our next President. His ideas aren't radical or even terribly new, but his presentation is PHENOMENAL, and he seems incredibly genuine. So if politicians are all assumed to be liars strictly by definition, then Barack Obama must be a damn good one, because I am SO buying what he is selling. He has managed to spark debates that have been lying dormant in corners across America for decades. I won't lie: I am nervous for him. Anyone who has studied political history in America can't help but be a little fearful for a young, handsome, popular man running for President in the United States. Add to that the fact that the candidate is a Black man, and I feel like I need to cross the fingers on my left hand as well as my right. But I can honestly say now that I feel that he is the best man for the job of trying to get this ridiculously backwards country back on its tracks. He has a strong woman by his side who has thoughts and ideas of her own creation that she is not afraid to share. She is beautiful (even though there is something in the mouth region that freaks me out a little!) and stylish, smart and savvy, warm and very relatable. I don't hate Hillary; I don't even dislike her a little bit. She has made some dumbass moves- chief among them, the distinct and remarkable need to take everything that Barack Obama says and make it sound like something entirely different. But she is doing what she feels like she has to do. She, too, has good ideas to move our country forward, and she believes in every word that she is saying. I just think that she is too polarizing of a figure. Hillary Clinton as the Democratic candidate for President of the United States would hand-deliver the victory to the Republican party. So, push on Reverend Obama (didn't he sound like an old school preacher a little bit during his speech?!)... you've got my vote.

YES WE CAN!!!!!!!

8 comments:

shani-o said...

Yay! You drank the Barack kool-aid!

GreatWhyte said...

**hanging my head in shame** I did. But damn, it was tasty!!!

So...Wise...Sista said...

"Mouth region."

Jameil said...

go barack!! don't hang that head in shame girl!! walk tall!! its the jaw. her jaw is extra strong. its the geechie in her. you know her granddaddy is from SC. hillary is way too polarizing which i've been saying since day one and i'm tired of her twisting obama's words. so wack.

Chris said...

Michelle is the quintessential Ride or Die, the modern day Coretta. I love everything about that woman and how she's got Barack's back early and often. I'm trying not to get too hyped about his success in these primaries, but damn if I ain't glad I live less than two hours from DC. If he's elected, I'm taking the entire week off of his inauguration.

La said...

hahahaha I drank it too. Ain't Michelle this presidency's ride or die chick? I heart her.


Is it wrong though, that my only hesitation in voting for Obama is that I'm sure the assasination plots will begin promptly upon his appointment and I worry for his family?

GreatWhyte said...

Jameil- I'm sorry, did you say geechie? My goodness...
Chris- you are so right. I am so in awe of a women who is strong enough to stand next to her man through whatever people throw at them, but secure enough to stand in his shadow when he needs to put it down on his own. I would SO love to meet her.
La- right???? I feel the same way. That's really what I was trying to say in my post, but I didn't want the alphabet people catching the word "assassination" on their random Internet scans and coming to my door!

Southerner in Suomi said...

Don't cross your fingers, send him some prayer.
That's what I'm doing.