Friday, February 01, 2008

All My Children

So when we last spoke, I found birth parent #1. Now I have found birth parent #2. Bingo, bango. Easy as pie.

**SIDEBAR** Is it just me, or is Vanna White simply WAY too old to still be
turning light brite blocks on Wheel of Fortune? Sorry, I got a little sidetracked while I was typing this post. Carry on.

Monday night I got an email from Maureen saying that she was able to get John's telephone number and that she wanted me to say a prayer for her so that she would know how to have the conversation with him that she knew she needed to. Tuesday evening when I got home from work, she sent me another email saying that she had spoken to him and that he had given her permission to share his telephone number and address with me. If you're reading this and you got suddenly very dizzy, then you have a small idea what it's like to be me! It was all coming together so effortlessly that I could hardly believe it. I know I keep saying this, but it really does sound like a made-up story. But as creative as I am, PLEASE know that even I couldn't come up with this stuff.

John lives just outside of Atlanta. He doesn't have email (who doesn't have email in 2008???), so I could only contact him by phone or **gasp** write him a letter. Now that presented a bit of a problem for me. As caught up in all of this as I was getting, something about talking to my birth father on the phone made me stop for a second. I don't know... when you're emailing or instant messaging someone, if they say something you don't like or something that makes you uncomfortable, you can just choose not to respond to it. But when you're on the phone with someone, you're kind of stuck. I mean, what if he was mean or angry or... I don't know, whatever. Since I knew that the number she gave me for him was a cell phone, I decided to text him. I guess it was late and I didn't get a response. **sadness!** I won't walk you through every single step of the whole thing, but the bottom line is that I have spoken to him, and this is what I know.

He is not married, and he retired from the Navy almost 20 years ago.

**Second sidebar** Sean Combs in "A Raisin in the Sun," the television version? Anybody else got tivo, DVR, AND their VCR on standby for this little production?

Anyhoo.... like I said, he is not married. He was married when I was born and divorced shortly afterward. He was married again (I don't know when), but never had any children. In between the two marriages (I think), he had a child with a woman who now lives in the Chicago area. So he has three sons and five grandsons. He keeps saying how much he has always wanted a daughter to spoil and take care of, and how much he feels badly that he never had that opportunity. We didn't get too far into the story of him and Maureen, but he really does seem like a cool guy.

I don't know where this story is going or how it will end, but it really has gone a long way toward calming the nosy beast inside of me! Maybe more to come, but right now it is only 8:00 and I feel like I am going to slip into a coma. SO SLEEEEEPEEE.

13 comments:

Jameil said...

WOW! lmao @ the sidebars, but this is an extremely interesting post. you could soo write a book. who shall play you in the made for tv movie?

Rashan Jamal said...

This is moving really fast. I would need a couple of weeks to process all this. You are strong for this.

Chris said...

I echo Rashan's sentiments, you're made of strong stuff, m'lady. I'd be on some next level anxiety attacks shit if something like this was happening, as RAPIDLY as this is going down for you.

But the beauty of it all is, you know. And that's what matters.

And yeah, Vanna will be up there with a walker turning those letters...Wheel will becoming an hour show once that happens.

Adei von K said...

wow (again). amazing. i could not do it! you are so brave! and i wonder what's going thru your b.p's minds!!??!

i saw that raisin in the sun cast and i'm soooooo there! i think puff is a better actor (solely based on monster's ball) than rapper anyway!

GreatWhyte said...

Jameil- Kimora. I don't know if she has any talent as an actress, but she is the only person I can think of who meets my fabulous quotient :)
Rashan- I don't know why it isn't striking me harder than it is. I guess my practial nature is taking over. Weird...
Chris- As I listen to you guys, I'm starting to feel like I'm repressing!
Stace- they seem to be thinking that their lives have improved exponentially in the last week and a half! My father has never had a girl to take care of, so he seems the happiest. Hmm.... how to benefit from this? LMAO

Jameil said...

PRADA!

Anonymous said...

you are a STRONG woman. This is so moving....I just felt compelled to share that I went through something similar to this when I was a teen. I was bouncing around the foster system but with a little money saved I took a 4 hr. bus ride to see my biological mother. For some reason, I was willing to forgive her for leaving me and I hoped that she would take me in. I was in for a shocker when she had this whole happy life that did not include me..husband, children, nice home, etc. I wanted to be apart of her life but she did not want me. It took me a long time to do it, but I have forgiven her for choices.

I admire you X for sharing your stories. I can't wait to see you at a book signing one day :)

Adei von K said...

uh-oh! daddy's little girl is emerging!

"Daddy, can you look at my Fab Friday posts?? Can you buy me ONE of those items pleeeeeeease???" LOL

shani-o said...

Wow! I'm so happy for you... this seems like it's going almost as well as it possibly could.

And yeah, I think we need to blog brainstorm what you can get out of this situation, lol!

Southerner in Suomi said...

I need Puffy to stick to the music.

Vanna's gonna be there until she can't walk anymore. Remember Keke Shepherd on Apollo. She had to be like 70 and still up waving over people's heads. Lol.

And again...kudos on handling this so well.

GreatWhyte said...

Jameil- switch it to Gucci, and we're on the same page.
Mikayla- I cannot even begin to imagine what that must have been like. That was my biggest fear when I allowed myself to think about it; I wondered what would happen if I found my birth parents and they had made another life that didn't include me. I am sorry that that happened to you, but I do admire your ability to get past it. Forgiveness is HUGE.
Stace- I'm thinking the 2008 Range Rover in cherry red with cream interior. For starters, that is...
Shani- a new truck, maybe? A student loan payment or two?
V- thanks!

Gorgeous_Puddin said...

Super Happy for you!!! Yeah!!!! you get your daddy Every girl needs her DADDY. I pray that this is a wonderful experience for you that you get too meet and enjoy your father and brothers for the rest of your days. I think you have been through enough drama and GOD made this easy for you. It's wonderful that he has always wanted a daughter and here you are. :)

Good Luck and be so blessed.

GreatWhyte said...

Gorgeous- yeah, I don't know... he wants me to come to this family barbecue in the summer... I have to sit with that for a while. I don't know if he has told the sons or not, we'll see. But thanks for the kind words!