Sunday, August 26, 2007

This is SO Long Overdue

I wanted to write you a thank you note. But not the usual "thanks so much for the stained glass portrait of our heavenly Father that is now comfortably nestled in my storage unit between the gift card from Claire's and the cable knit sweater that my best friend's grandmother knitted me for my 21st birthday" kind of thank you. The kind that you look at and really realize (hopefully) that you have made a difference in someone's life somehow. Now I can just picture you squirming in your seat at the idea that I'm about to allow even a little peek into the real you because you don't want people to know that you really are a nice guy. And I KNOW that you are cursing at the idea of me putting your government name out into the blogosphere for public consumption. But man up. This one goes out to you, Jarrod M.M.

Thank you for being my opposition. You say black when I say white. You say up when I say down. You say no when I say yes (well.... you don't actually say no....).

Thank you for being my challenge. I have learned that I cannot change you. And that I shouldn't want to. That you are just fine the way that you are. But you require me to ask the really tough questions of myself and you encourage me to be brave enough to hear the answers. You judge me sometimes. But I don't care what anyone says: that shit is necessary sometimes.

Thank you for asking me for another picture. Thank you for putting my nuber back in your phone. Thank you for singing "Get Me Bodied" to me when I was sick. Thank you for staying on the phone with me when that lady called me a "fucking bitch" and helping me to allow her to stay alive to tell the story to her goddam countrymen in her motherfucking language (woosahhhhh). Thank you for reminding me that I am not always right. Not even half the time. Hell, not even some of the time. Thank you for reminding me how old I am. Every day. Several times a day. Thank you for asking me when we were going on our first date. For not quitting when I didn't answer your calls. For saying "hi." For ironing your shirt on a borrowed ironing board. For being on time. For walking me to my car. For finally saying it. And meaning it. "The Mack." "The Boondocks." "New Jack City." Dave Chapelle. Chapel Hill. Carrot cake at Red Star. The Cheesecake Factory (oh yeah, that's right. That was the baby.). Lady of Rage. Jenny from the Block. Township. Hampton. Newport News. Norfolk. 2005. 2006. 2007.

Thank you for being the laughter of my life. And (you're really gonna hate this part): I love you.

13 comments:

Adei von K said...

not just his name, but his picture too :-) I LOVE IT!!

yo, this post is what's up. you gotta thank those who challenged you to the point where you wanted to snap cause in the long run, they make you stronger and more appreciative.

Southerner in Suomi said...

Awww. Yay Jarrod!!

*claps hands*

Hercules!! Hercules!!

And when was that picture taken?

Jameil said...

awwwww. awwwwwwww!! oh you should hear me in here. it sounds disgusting and constipated but its just so darn cute!!

GreatWhyte said...

Stace - yeah, I figured I would put him WAY out there :)
V - that picture (wih my sweaty, greasy face!)was taken at my graduation party in May 2006.
Jam - disgusting and constipated? Eww.... but it works for you.

Erica C. said...

I think people are put into your life for a reason. You can't beat a true friend.

La said...

Awwwww :-D



You really did put that man like ALLLL the way on blast, didn't you? Lol

GreatWhyte said...

Shut up, La. He said that I could. **na nanny boo boo**

Victoria Page said...

X, I heart your eye makeup in this picture.....I know that had nothing to do with this post.....

the joy said...

you two look like a dinner party couple. lol its cute. pix with my friends always look a crazy mess.

yay for singing you to health!

La said...

Your tarot card..

The Magus
The Magus is the physical embodiment of decisive action based upon knowledge and aimed squarely at specific goals. While firmly set in the material world, he none-the-less has a powerful spiritual connection as well. His knowledge, wisdom and skill are all encompassing. He is complete. His power as a creator is unmatched on our earthly plane. He is self-aware and unafraid to act. His enormous strength gives him the freedom to act as he chooses. However, responsibility comes with that freedom. Because he is not bound to the restraints of others, he must choose how to act. The question that always lies before him is should he act morally, or forsake ethics for personal gain?

Adei von K said...

hurrah and all for your jarrod love, but jameil and stace are here TOGETHER NOW and we're ready for a new post!!! crazies, victims and stupids don't need you right now!!! (stace is in the background going "she's gon cuss!!"... i know she's right but i don't care!!!)

GreatWhyte said...

Joy - LMAO @ a "dinner party couple!" That's funny. This was one of the really rare decent pics of me (even though my face does look like a grease monkey!).
La - right on point with that card I'ma print that out.
Stace - listen here, blogger bullies #1 and 2. I will NOT be intimidated by the two of you acting in tandem. I'll post something when I get good and goddam ready... which just happens to be right now. **hmpff**

Jarrod said...

Being put on blast is a beautiful thing, I never thought it would get this kind of response...lol. Nah, I'm just kidding. It's just comforting to know that I have someone in my life who can wade through the bullshit and find a good person. It's rare I'm actually 100% with what's going on in my head and heart, so when you find someone that makes it easy for you to share that part of yourself, you relish it. And I do.