Thursday, June 28, 2007

Who Am I?

You are tall like me. We both have long thick hair. My eyes are brown too. Are you her? Basketball? That's my favorite sport also. Size 11? Yeah, my feet are pretty big. Are you him? You laugh like me. I danced when I was younger too. Do you have a sister? Maybe... nah, couldn't be.

I was always loved and cherished and spoiled and beholden. At least at home I was. I never felt less than or different or out of place. At least not while I was at home. My aunt never quite treated me equally, though. She was always trying to undermine my family relationships. She was always trying to downplay my accomplishments. She was always jealous. She always tried to pass that on to her daughter as well. And for a while it worked. For a while I fought my mother. For a while I allowed my aunt's hatred to infiltrate me. I doubted my mother, I shut her out, I ran away. But I always came back. And eventually, we won. We survived. We laughed. We loved. Each other. Deeply. I was hers. HERS. Not the adopted child of another. Hers.

But now there's news. "Those" people are more than just an abstract concept. They know me. They've watched me grow. We've crossed paths. They live in Hampton Roads too. Just like me. But I don't know them. Watching me. Learning about me. But never approaching me. How? Why? And now my mother is gone. But still nothing. No words. No letters. No unknown people at the funeral. Who are these people? Do I know them like they apparently know me?

Well I'm on a mission to find some answers. By this afternoon, I need to know. And I know just who to ask. So... stay tuned, I guess.

7 comments:

Jameil said...

hmmmmmmmmmmm

GreatWhyte said...

Hmmmmm indeed. Found out more today, so I guess I'll post that around 2 a.m. when I'm slipping into my nightly coma.

the joy said...

i have family friends that are adopted. i know it must kill them to have so many unanswered questions. i aplaud you girl. do what you gotta to stay whole.

La said...

Can you just let me in your business so I don't have to dig all up in it? Lol

So...Wise...Sista said...

::reaching for my popcorn::

Paula D. said...

Wow! Definitely keep the updates coming :-)

shani-o said...

I'm ... interested.