Thursday, October 19, 2006

Lawdy, Lawdy... Lawd Have Mercy!!!

Okay, so I was coming home from dropping off some urine for a drug test at the request of my new job - yall know the one that I was forced to take when I got fired from my residency **wink wink**. I decided to stop at the grocery store to get some popcorn to eat while watching my Thursday night television. I was in a part of town that I normally don't go through, so I wasn't that familiar with the area. All of a sudden, I saw a supermarket on the left side of the street. As I was pulling over into the parkng lot, my first clue that I was in for a treat was when I saw the sign reading "Martin Luther King Boulevard." Lawd have mercy!!!!! Once my car was parked in its designated parking space amidst the broken shopping carts and random condom wrappers (HONEST!), I noticed the name of the store: "Extra Gricery Store." Lawd have mercy!!!! When I got out of the car, I felt like I had just walked onto the set of The Wire minus that unbelievably deelishis (shout out to my man FLA-VOR FLAVVVVVVV!!!!) Idris Elba (anybody know where I can find him?). I mean really... this was the grocery store from every stereotype in every comedy sketch done by every Black comedian in America! There were hardly any brand named products in the whole store - all I was looking for was some Orville Reddenbacher (sp?), but the only thing on the shelf was the store brand. Then I looked for some soda - no Coke, no Pepsi, no Nehi, no Fanta... just store brand. WTF?????? I had to walk out because the whole thing was just so ridiculous. So no popcorn for me. But plenty of jokes.

3 comments:

Jameil said...

huh uh. i would've gotten back in my car at condom wrappers. done.

the joy said...

its like the twighlight zone. submitted for your approval- a hungry woman in the ghetto...

GreatWhyte said...

Jameil - I know, but a girl was FEENIN for some popcorn :)