Monday, October 30, 2006

Homecoming

"H-O-M-E-C... O-M-I-N-G! It's, Homecoming yall! It's Homecoming, yall!" Well, that's the attitude I approached the weekend with. Now, however, all I have to say is BOO HISSSSSS!!!!!

I went down to Hampton Thursday morning so I would have more time to relax and to catch up with my friends before they got caught up in all of the Homecoming hullabaloo (yes, I know.... I said hullabaloo). I stopped in to see one of my favorite bloggers for a second, and then I got suckered into going to the stepshow (problem #1). I should have known that no Deltas + no AKAa = disaster. When I finally got there at 9:30 (it started at 8:00), only one group had performed. Ogden was packed and people were trying to sneak into the side doors and windows (WHAT?). When I got there, the Iotas were stepping (KILLIN IT, I might add) which in itself was a mimor miracle. Then they started having audiovisual difficulties, so the DJ started playing gospel music. Yes, GOSPEL music at a stepshow! Now I love the Lord just as much as the next person, but something about "We Lift Our Hands in the Sanctuary" right after I saw an Iota simulating oral sex rubbed me the wrong way. Anyway, I left at 11:30, and the damn thing still wasn't over.

Friday morning I got up early and went to get my hair done. Oh yes.... boy, was THAT a debacle. I told my stylist that I wanted "something different." So everything that happened after that was entirely my fault. THIS is what happened after that (that's me in the middle, just in case you don't recognize the BALD HEADED BITCH!!!!!).

Yeah. Nothing more to say about that. I decided that I was too old to go to the Soiree, even though in hindsight, that probably would've been a good look. Because instead, I joined some friends and went to the T.I. concert. DOUBLE SIGH. Concert was supposed to start at 6:00 because T.I. had another show in Philly later that night. We got there at 6:15, and the DJ was still playing music. Cool. Three hours later, the Youngbloodz came out. I couldn't understand a word they were saying because their speakers were too loud, and that little nigga Sean Paul was eating his microphone. Not to mention the fact that I'm TWENTY NINE YEARS OLD. I don't know no damn Youngbloodz songs!! At one point, security came over and told us that they suggested we leave because T.I. wasn't coming, and they didn't want us to be there when the students started fighting. However, they encouraged us to leave one at a time so no one would notice that something was wrong. Uh, okay. But at 10:00, T.I.'s little ass finally came out. WOW is he little.

He sang the first verse of all of his hits, and then he left the stage. Not to change his clothes, but to go the fuck home. What time was it? 10:30. Yep, that's right. We waited four hours for a 30 minute concert. Wow. And this is all I have to show for it.

I woke up Saturday morning to a typhoon, so I decided that the game was a wash. But then, miraculously, the sun came out and it turned into a BEAUTIFUL day. My linesister and I drove over to campus and proceeded to try to scam our way into the game (whatever... $25 is RIDICULOUS for a sporting event). And then, things started going right. I looked up, and amid ALL those people, I saw my grandmother... YEAH!!! Tyffani and I fell in behind her, and presto chango! We had seats on the 50-yard line. FABULOUS. And along the way, I discovered something very important: my grandmother is an A-list celebrity! I'm talking about people waving at her from the stands (students, no less!), and random women breaking into the Delta circle after the game to take her picture (WTF??). Too funny. After the game, we went home to take a nap before this party at the Convocation Center. We were supposed to meet some girlfriends at 11 so that we could all go together. Okay, so why did we wake up THE NEXT MORNING?????? GREAT. And after hearing about the Paperazzi Party that wasn't (read all about it here), we heard that the Convocation Center party was the JUMP OFF. DAMMIT!!!!!!!!

So, Jameil, wish I could say more. But Homecoming was what it was. I guess I need to realize that I need to join Jarrod and start keepin it real alumni. Cause that's who I am now. SIGH.

7 comments:

Jameil said...

HOW did you not know your grandmother is a celebrity???? girl please. she got half the people from greensboro in the school AND she has a building named after her. my l.s. loves her.

LOVE YOUR HAIRCUT!!! i gotta go work i'll be back to say more later.

GreatWhyte said...

Thanks dude... I'm still not so sure. My attending this morning stopped rounds for a full 60 seconds to give his critique about how I had "reinvented myself." It involved about 7 million "wow's" and a lot of removing his glasses and rubbing his eyes. SIGH. Whitey loves it when Black people switch it up so they can have something to talk about! As far as my grandmother goes... I really had no idea. I just figured she was hyping herself up. But I knew for sure when she had these t-shirts made for the girls who live in White Hall, and she had a table set up so she could autograph them... and PEOPLE WWERE WAITING IN THE LINE. (like Flavor Flav) WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW!!

Jameil said...

aaaaaaaaand i'm back. shut up!! i'ma be gangsta like ya grandma when i grow up! she gave my l.s. one of those shirts. i love that she was autographing them and they were waiting AND that you compared her to flavor flav!!! you ass!!! hilarious. whitey does love it when we do somethin interestin! show do! hahahaha you are foolish.

why didn't you just go into the game w/her???? nut.

look at kells.

gospel?! get out. i hate step shows anyway. they're all the same. i've been in abt 5, been to at least an additional 7. (most pre-greek days). yawn!!

youngbloodz AND t.i.??????? this is NOT the hampton homecoming concert i know and kind of hate. youngbloodz hahahaha. t.i. oh yes its true he is a midget!! tooo tiny. not even surprised his concert was less than appealing. he was at fam the next day. stop packing every single homecoming and other concerts in b/t into your schedule. are you that hard up for money? i mean i know you got like 8 kids and all but COME ON!!! la need to get her baby daddy.

what does real alumni mean? we have to sit in the room? i don't understand what either of you are talking about? this may require another post abt what real alumni means. i'm confused. i keep hearing it wasn't all that but i would've loved to see some of my bloggers and reunite w/the homies and show off for the exes who will never have me again, etc. be around black folk, generally stunt. ya know. i'd heard nothing abt the convocation party??!!! what??? let me find out. interesting...

GreatWhyte said...

I DID go into the game with her - otherwise I wouldn't have gotten in! She had the lady at the gate so shook that she probably would've let in the entire Wu Tang Clan at that point! Let's see... "real alumni." That means that you realize how old you are and you understand that your days of shaking your moneymaker until 4 a.m. are over. You go to the game, you go INTO the game, you WATCH the game, you sing your little circle songs after the game (if you're Greek), and then you take your tired ass home (or to the bowling party if you're REALLY feeling squirrely!). Jarrod says that he's gonna give you a blog on what "keepin it real alumni" means, so I'ma hold out and see what he comes up with.

Jameil said...

can't wait for that. and coming from jarrod i know it'll be something miraculous *see hilarious.* i'm not ready to be real alumni yet. i don't want to go to child parties but i think its mostly b/c there are no hampton-esque parties here. you know how we do. all extra dressed up and all. wearin the fly clothes and still gettin crunk. none of that here. so yeah. maybe once i move to dc i'll be ok.

Adei von K said...

With the exception of Madam and La, I think Homecoming 2006 was a waste of life. And even on that note, both of those howard girls got into fights. no thanks.

I didn't see kelis. Why? the radio stations said she wasn't coming. why did kelis come AND bring her husband???

NAS was in the building.
who was upset she didn't go? I WAS!

boooooo hisssss is right!!

Gamma Theta is off yard too? Damn.

you make me want to post my 06 events (or lack there of)

P.S. I'ma need you to know your grandmom is a celeb!!! LOL

Southern_Lady said...

I missed my Homecoming this year, but I went to Bayou Classic (Southern University Alum) and it was...OKAY. All the planning to go here and there, etc. turned into uncontrollable nodding and looking at funny videos on YouTube. Go figure!