Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Morning my beauties! Today is a day of rest... well, not really rest because I'm not off, but I'm working at a store that fills 25-35 prescriptions a day (in a 12-hour shift). In case you're wondering, that is very VERY slow, so... thought I'd pop in and say hello.

First off, virtual book club. "Nineteen Minutes" by Jodi Picoult this week. I loved it. Couldn't put it down. To give you an idea of just how great I thought it was, I went to heaven yesterday (commonly known as Barnes and Noble!) and bought everything she has written (13 new books... yay!). Anyway... "Nineteen Minutes" is a work of fiction about a high school shooting in New England. Right off, you're probably either saying to yourself "that's too much for light reading, no thanks!" or (like me) "ooh... brave choice, let's do it." The characters are so real and relatable... even though I can't claim a memory of even a single incidence of childhood torture that this boy experienced, I felt his story... and I felt sorry for him. The book is a bit like the movie "Vantage Point" (if you haven't seen it, I recommend that too) in that it jumps around in time and keeps returning to the day of the shooting. But instead of confusing you, each trip backwards and forwards helps to fill in the holes of the story and you get a fuller view of the characters. I don't know... the very idea of a shooting at a school where I (or my children) go to school sends chills down my spine. But this book tells the story without seeming sensational and without making you feel like you've heard it all before. Check it out... it really is a fantastic read.. I started "The Pillars of the Earth" yesterday, so I guess that will be the book for this week... all 973 pages!!

Today is the 12th, so only 23 more days until the cruise, yay! I went to Old Navy last week when I went into the city (haven't been there in FAR too long) and saw all kinds of stuff that they didn't have in Jersey. So I bought some summer clothes which is SUCH a step for me because I do NOT wear shorts and stuff in the summer! I was a late comer to the Old Navy bandwagon, but they have such bright pretty colors this season and they carry my size all the time (a minor miracle in and of itself, lol), so I'm a fan. Bought shorts and tank tops and a dress and flip flops and... sorry! I love new clothes. So now all I need for my trip is suntan lotion and travel size toiletries (damn those airlines!!).

So Barack Obama won Mississippi yesterday... kudos. Also looks like they've credited the Texas Caucus to him... finally. Something about those primary results down there still doesn't sit quite well with me, but oh well... he wouldn't have come out much better with the delegate count anyway because the numbers were so close and Texas isn't a winner-take-all state, so... onward and upward. I heard the audio from Geraldine Ferraro's comments about Obama's candidacy this morning on the radio. Booooooooooo and hissssss. She's just bitter because she wasn't the woman who broke the mold and now she's hating on Barack for having a shot now. "If he weren't Black or if he were a woman of any color, would he be in this situation?" Umm... yeah. Heard of a woman named Hillary Clinton? She's in this situation. **sigh** It's a shame that prominent Democrats (even those who's time has passed) are hating on Senator Obama because he has developed such a following. A damn shame.

Yesterday was supposed to be the long awaited day that I got my shiny new red Blackberry Curve 8310 because my indentured servitude with Verizon.. I mean my two year contract... is finally up. But alas- it was not to be. Best Buy was completely out of SIM cards for Verizon and AT&T phones, so they were only able to do new Sprint contracts. **tear** So thanks to that and a little tip from Will Smith the wireless guy (his real name, I asked!), I'm riding out with this one until March 30. CURSES!!! I neeeeeeed the red phone in my life!

And lastly (for now), speaking of the color red: my best friend called and told me that she had her interview for the Sorority the other day... YAY! I've been trying to get her to join since she was a sophomore (I wasn't even in yet!) and her mom has been trying since she joined a few years ago... gotcha! I'm so excited that she finally slowed down enough to do it. **running off in a mad search for elephants and red stuff**

7 comments:

Chris said...

1984 called Geraldine, they said STFU. I'm amazed at how many old fogies (Andrew Young, Geraldine Ferraro, etc.) are cauc-blocking Barack now that he's this close to running the country. People just need to hush and ride the wave.

Adei von K said...

wow. is she (GF) even relevant in 2008??

I didn't know book club reads books so fast!!

red or CRIMSON???

:-)

GreatWhyte said...

Chris- **giggling so hard at "1984 called"** she's soooo done.
Stace- She so isn't.. But the minute she made her comments, she earned herself another 15 minutes.
Yepper... a book a week. I'm really trying to expand my library.
Red- of the candy apple sports car variety. I'm not a fan of true crimson.

Jameil said...

my line sister's sister just got pinned for SGRho. I'm soooo excited!

now that you mention it, i have heard about 19 mins. and heard it was really good. i'll have to check it out. old navy has a new black designer (patrick robinson) which explains the change. yay for new clothes!!!!!!!!

also.. GO BARACK, GO BARACK!!!

Southerner in Suomi said...

I need to read a book. I just ordered "The Corner" which I loved as a movie. What's really sad is, I used to religiously read the book before the movie. The switch is not cool. Lol.

Yaaay red!! Not me, but something l like 70 percent of the females in my fam rock the crimson and cream. Lol.

ROCKY ROX!!

Coco said...

Ok so I wasn't going to comment but I just had to point out that only Jameil would know that Old Navy has a new black designer :)

Geraldine is relevant only b/c of Hillary's "by any means necessary" tactics. Hillary has her people planted to say randomness and then she can appear like she is offended by what the individual says she can show her concerned side. That woman made those comments a couple of times and finally somebody said something.

GreatWhyte said...

Jameil- of course the new Black designer is responsible for the bright new clothes at Old Navy... what was I thinking? Lol
V- you mean "The Corner" that was a series on HBO a few years ago and then went to reruns on BET? There's a book? Who knew... I watched that show which is why I'm not pressed for "The Wire."
Coco- OF COURSE she knows! Geraldine Ferraro... I wonder what rock she's been hiding under for the past 24 years?