Thursday, March 20, 2008

Book Club III

Sooooo... it's Thursday. Yesterday I was supposed to post about the one woman book club (thanks soooooo much, Mini, for abandoning the ship!), but I honestly forgot. I finished "The Pillars of the Earth" yesterday morning while I was on the train on my way to the city. I kinda loved it. Better than liked it, didn't quite LOVE IT, but I kinda loved it. I deliberately didn't read anything about the book in advance, so I had no clue what the story was even about. I never saw Oprah talk about it on her show, and I tried not to even look too closely at the cover art for fear that it would give something away. Immediately, I realized that it wasn't my normal type of read (murder, mystery, crime, medicine, something dramatic) because the first section started in the damn 1100's in England. Umm... okay. But I gave "Braveheart" a chance and ADORED it, so I figured that I owed this book at least that much. Six days later, I finished, and like I said, I kinda loved it. The characters were interesting, the plot kept me involved... the only thing was the details about the architecture... had to blow past those paragraphs. I simply cannot get motivated about buttresses and spirals and carvings and... what? Oh I'm sorry, I just fell asleep for a minute.

Bottom line? Good book. A little long, but it never actually SEEMED long. I was done before I knew it and I wasn't mad about spending the week reading it. I recommend it. Next week, "Mercy" by Jodi Picoult.

No comments: