Friday, November 16, 2007

1990-present

Thank you Organized Noise for the inspiration for today's post. He was reminiscing about what kind of person he was in high school. It kinda got me thinking about who I was then and who I am now.

In 1990 I was 13. I was an only child of a mother who spent every waking moment teaching somebody something. I'm talking about those colorful magnetic letters on the fridge, a floor-to-ceiling bookshelf in the playroom, and "educational toys." So I was pretty smart. Five feet eight, 110 pounds, size eleven shoe. Long dark hair that I paid $10 every week to get pressed. Glasses that I only wore in school when I had to read the board. Pre-calculus with the juniors. Advanced geography. Science club, French club, Mayor's Youth Commission, orchestr member. Dance class three times a week. Majorette practice once a week, private lessons on Mondays, three hours in the gym on the weekends. Pageants once every two or three months. Long car trips with my mom with the costumes and dresses in big suitcases, makeup in the pink train case, sponge rollers in my hair, fried chicken wings and brownies wrapped in foil with grape sodas in the cooler in the backseat.

My Lord... I really was a loser. The boys didn't talk to me because I wasn't pretty and I had no shape, so I didn't wear the popular biking shorts and long tshirts (shut up, J). My ears weren't pierced until I turned 15 in the 11th grade. I couldn't wear makeup until that year either, and even then, only Mocha Ice lipstick by Revlon. No acrylic nails. No fancy haircut. No car. No drivers license. No boyfriends. No school dances.

Whew.... I was such a loser. I see now why I'm such a different kind of person. Some things have changed, some haven't. Now I'm six feet tall and I weigh 205. I still wear a size 11 shoe. My hair is now short and I just dyed it black. I have contacts and a relaxer. I have my own car now (albeit a Saturn) and I live on my own. I don't dance anymore. I haven't even been to a pageant, let alone competed in one, in 15 years. I couldn't play a note on the violin or the cello anymore. I still don't have many friends. I'm still pretty smart, but I don't use it. I have a dog and an apartment and a job.

I thought this would be fun, but it's kind of depressing me.

4 comments:

Jameil said...

dance dance!! don't get depressed!! you're so fabulous! how do you not know this!?!? everyone's friendage shrinks considerably w/age. b/c you have less tolerance for the bovine feces. you were a busy child! i thought i was into everything!! i didn't know you were 6 feet. no wonder you're always talking about my height!! jerkage. I STILL LOVE YOU!!

La said...

everyone was a loser in high school. It wa s requirement. Right on your scheme. Right after chemistry but before AP Calc. You are no different than no one else. HOWEVER, bitch you were a beauty queen?!?!?! WHY don't you see how utterly fabulous that is? I can't take it.

GreatWhyte said...

"Bovine feces," though? Kay.... Yeah, I was crazy busy as a child But I think that's how it should be... my kids are gonna need wall calendars to keep their stuff straight! Yep, 72 inches. Since freshman year in college, I think.

the joy said...

Who I was then depressed me. But I would have hung out with you! You wouldn't have wanted me to cuz I was 6...