Friday, April 11, 2008

Regret

**sigh**

Why didn't you call me? Well, maybe you didn't want to hear my voice; I kinda understand that. Okay, so why didn't you email me? I guess you just didn't want to. Or maybe it didn't even occur to you. While you were subletting your place and putting your things into storage and setting up your bills for automatic monthly payment, did you think of me? When you were running through your final checklists and triple checking your equipment, did my face pop into your mind? When you took your last backward glance at the airport terminal and tried to ignore the tears in your parents' eyes, did the ghost of me slip across your field of vision?

**sigh**

Probably not. But when I found out, I was sad; my heart cracked just a little amidst the criss-crossed scars from years ago. I'm worried about you way over there. Are you too hot? Are you eating well? Have you been able to communicate with home? Are you safe? Are you afraid? When you look into the eyes of one of your patients, do you see yourself? Will you be able to send in your absentee ballot? Will you miss your nephew's first birthday? Did you take your guitar? Do you get your morning coffee? Do you finally feel like a "real doctor" now? Are you okay?

**sigh**

I wish you'd told me. I'll pray for you every night and sometimes during the day. Be safe, okay?

8 comments:

Southerner in Suomi said...

Oh please tell me this isn't newly found dad who had to go over there?

GAAARR!!

That's been my sound for the past three years as I've found out about at least 20 high school mates who have been a part of the War of Terror.

*deep breathe*

Adding them to my prayer list of safe returns.

Rashan Jamal said...

Somebody going to war?

cherry's kid said...

It's hard to part with someone who is going to war...I say part because we can only keep them in our prayers...I will say a pray for your loved one!

GreatWhyte said...

V- no, newly found biological father is a little old for the war now, I think! But what's funny is that the sound that you make is actually this person's nickname... how's that for irony? Thanks for the prayers (and I'm sure that his family thanks you too)
Rashan- yeah, he left a few weeks ago for seven months.
Cherry- it's strange because he and I haven't spoken in almost a year, but we were always so connected. So I just worry about him over there.
Dumbass President.

the joy said...

You know we're *here*. I'm freaked out of my mind about my bro, and he's not over there... I refuse to say 'yet' cuz that's putting out there that I don't wanna deal with.

GreatWhyte said...

Joy- I know.... I had put it out of my mind too. **sigh** Prayer.

Jazzy said...

wow...get his information and write him. Maybe it was too hard for him to tell you, but that doesn't mean he doesn't want to hear from you.

GreatWhyte said...

Yeah, I just don't want to be pushy. I guess I figure that if he wanted to hear from me, he'd send me his information.