Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Sol-Angel and the Hadley Street Dreams

Okay, so this is where we decide whether or not we love Sol-Angel and the Hadley Street Dreams," otherwise known as Solange Knowles' thirteen track soliloquy on how she is not her sister. Well.... DUHHHHH!!!!! The way I figure it, the lady dost protest too much. Honestly, I love the album. **peeking around to see I anyone caught that on tape** I love every single song on it. But what I don't so much love is how every time I start bobbing my head to the beat or closing my eyes to appreciate the surprising depth of her sound, she tosses in some not-so-subtle reference to Beyonce. And when she's not mentioning my beloved Bey, she's shouting out some unbelievably coonish shit like "I promise I'm not high!"

**blinkblinkblink**

Err?

Come on, Solange. Perhaps if YOU stopped comparing yourself to your older, established, quite talented sister, perhaps everyone else would too! There's plenty of room for both of you- especially since NOTHING about this album reminds me AT ALL of anything Beyonce ever wrote and/or sang. So chill, my sister.... do your thing.

Besides, who can hate on an album that has such priceless inside cover art? There's a picture of Solange standing between two white boards that read "I will not have a famous family" and "I will not get pregnant at 17" written over and over again. LMFAO!!!!!! Love in a CD case :) And the best part OF ALL... that bad boy was only $6.98!!! Yes ma'am and/or sir: as in six dollars and ninety eight cents. I can't figure out of that is Target trying to play her on the low and discounting her shit before it's even settling on the shelf good or.... Well, that's pretty much the only scenario I arrived at. **sigh** Ah well. Get that money, Solo.

11 comments:

Victoria Page said...

"I promise I'm not high..."

*crickets chirping*

I still may get her cd, even if just to see that art inside. It sounds fly.

the joy said...

I'm kinda wanting this album. I'm always singing "I decided" and *somehow* its on my MP3 player...

Lol she is a lil spazzy with language. She had MTV chanting douchebag the other day.

Monie said...

Hehehehee, you are crazy. I love "I Decided" and you've just convinced me to check out the rest of the CD.

Adei von K said...

ok. i'm going to get it. seeing how i bought ashanti, solange is something i MUST get!

P.S. the declaration is not the business

Southerner in Suomi said...

Dude, then she went on some TV station promoting it being all shitty and wrong to the reporter.

She introduced her and mentioned Bey, but Solange goes off about being compared to her brother? I didn't even know them chicks had other siblings. And maybe she did need to say she wasn't high, cause she sounded like she was under the influence of some type of drug.

Can we say chip on the shoulder?

GreatWhyte said...

Vic- yeah, exactly. She frequently seems a little... umm... above the ground.
Joy- GET THAT! It's $6.98 until Saturday!
Monie- Lemme know what you think.
Adei- yeah, I was worried about your when you were raving about Ashanti, but... see if you like this.
V- umm... what are you talking about? LOL! I was so confused after I read your comment. She was talking about what being all shitty and wrong? And what brother? They don't have a brother!

Eb the Celeb said...

The album is a good one... T.O.N.Y stays on heavy rotation. She has really come into her own... so yeah... at this point.. she is the only one that can really hang on to the Beyonce comparison... so if she lets it go and stop being so defensive then the critics will too

Southerner in Suomi said...

She was on this Las Vegas news channel being terrible and said something about my sister and someone named Miles. Is that her child?

GreatWhyte said...

Jules, maybe? That's her son.

Anonymous said...

she said she didn't want to be mentioned along with her brother-in-law...(JayZ) but when the reporter mentioned JayZ, they were off the air, so she made herself look dumb

Southern_Lady said...

I love the CD and at $6.98, it sounds even better. Very, um...off the radar. She's a cool chick, maybe trying too hard to be the complete opposite of Bey, even if she is.