Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Only Wednesday

"Dear Monique... Blah blah blah. Baby shower... Blah blah blah... I know you don't know us, but we'd really love it if you could make it... Blah blah blah."

*blink*

Okay, so let me make sure that I understand. Maureen's sister's daughter is having a baby and hence a baby shower. In Ohio. And she wants me to come. Me- a person she has never laid eyes on in her natural born life, and didn't even know existed until probably six months ago. Interesting. But I think I'll pass.

And not for the reasons that yall cynical (and quite correct) readers of my blog would assume. Not because they're white, and not even because it's all the way in Ohio. Mainly because... Well, because... I don't know why. Probably for the same reason I'm passing on John's family reunion this weekend too... Because I (and don't laugh!) can't stand to be the center of attention. And at an event where it should be all about the baby and the mother, I don't want everyone wondering who the token Black girl is that nobody has ever even met. But the thing is, I feel badly. Maureen offered to pay for the ticket and everything, and for once I'm not just being my typical anti self. I just don't want to be on display, you understand? Now what to tell her...

In other news... I hate my friend's choice of a relationship partner and think the whole thing is so... Faux. But oh well- bygones.

Me and my box of Kleenex watched the tribute to Randy Pausch last night (of "The Last Lecture" acclaim)... We were joined digitally by none other than Mini herself. *sidebar* there's something so weird about watching the exact same television program as someone else who lives in a completely different time zone than you. Anyhoo... I almost can't bear the injustice of it all. 48 years old with three children under seven and a wife that you're really just getting to know. It's too much...

So I'm wondering about the appropriateness of murdering a family member by forcibly ejecting them from your moving vehicle. I mean if they could do it to mama on the train, then why can't I? Just things I be wonderin...

And last but not least, I am almost at my fundraising goal for the Avon Walk, but not quite. Yes, this is a shameless plug for donations. Please go to http://tinyurl.com/5c39a9 and help support a very worthy cause. Thanks to all you guys who have already answered the call :)

10 comments:

Blah Blah Blah said...

I need to read your archives to find out who Maureen is...but...
I wuldn't go to someones baby shower that I had never met either...much less, out of state.
Dunno...just seems...odd.

Token black is ok...*did I just set back civil rights back 50 years?* as long as you get contacts and free shit out of it...
...no of course I'm not serious...I kid, I kid...lol

Adei von K said...

i understand where you are coming from. that's nice of you to not want to steal the mommy-to-be's shine.

is that murder considered vehicular homicide? that's what I'm wondering...

GreatWhyte said...

Blah- she's my birth mother. The baby shower is for her niece.
Adei- I guess... I just shrink from unnecessary attention. It makes me so nervous (hence my aversion to karaoke, etc.)

Southerner in Suomi said...

I think you should tell her your actual reason. She might not get it yet.

Also, I have been meaning to donate. I just have alzheimer's. Keep putting that in your blog.

Monie said...

I've donated already. Yay me!!!

This is for the previous post but I really dig the yellow polish.

I am all over the place right now...jeez LOL

Still Patrice said...

I love how you phrased this...
In other news... I hate my friend's choice of a relationship partner and think the whole thing is so... Faux.

the joy said...

I'm here with you on the ctr of atn thing. Not for what you did, but just who you are? Awkward!

Yeah she and I don't even watch TV together. That is weird.

I went on your walk site Wednesday and I had left my wallet upstairs at work. I felt like such a slacker. Friday! I promise!

She Draws said...

Well... I think that you should tell Maureen the truth why you don't want to come if you think you "know her like that" of course you'll get the " my God no... you know some of my best friends are black spill"

But I think you should go and not only will they wonder who is the black girl they'll wonder and where does she shop..."no matter what you got to strut" LOL

Have a good one hun!

Go B.

She Draws said...

oh...wait. Okay Maureen is your birthmother....ummm...I don't know that's deeper than just being the center of attention...this will also open up a can of worms with your BM with intentions of bonding at this "family" event. Okay...I need to go back in the archives and see how close you are with your birth mother. Because I can't stand my birth mother...Not my mother but my birth mother *wink*

Blah Blah Blah said...

Birth mother...eh, I have one of those.
From the age of one, I was raised by my daddy and 4 uncles...so...
that whole mother daughter connection...I don't get it...how it works or if it works ....blah blah blah

I still wouldn't go. But XF, don't be like me...I'm persnickity...lol I do what I want...so, it could be a good friend and I probably wouldn't go either depending on what side of the bed I woke up on...LOL