Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Mother's Day

Not long ago, a fellow blogger said something that resonated with me. I don't remember who it was (I'm sorry!), but know that I got this from you.

Today is my Mother's Day. September 18. Four years ago today I started a journey that I didn't know I needed to take. A journey of self reliance, responsibility, and maturity. I wish that that there had been more than one set of footprints in the sand of that journey. Just one more set of narrow size 8's to steer me in the right direction. But that's not how I was meant to travel. So... here I am, four years later.

Seems like yesterday that I opened my eyes to that gloomy, windy, rain-soaked morning. Yesterday when, for the slightest instant, I convinced myself that the preceding year had been a terrible dream. Yesterday too when I realized that it had not in fact been a dream. Yesterday when I closed my eyes whole and opened them incomplete. But it wasn't yesterday.

2003. 2007. Four days before my birthday. The day my life changed forever. But this year there's a tiny bit of hope in Mother's Day. I'm almost 30. Didn't think I would make it here after that day. But I did. And she knew I would.

Happy Mother's Day.

4 comments:

Jameil said...

GIANT hug.

La said...

How proud would she be of you right now? :-)

So...Wise...Sista said...

Beautiful!

the joy said...

precious. BTW i wont be around tomorrow to say... Happy birthday!!! you better 30 it up in this piece! was this not the best year? the next one will be even better.