Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Falling Star

Now, I know... most of you are either tired of hearing about this topic by now or never gave an ish in the first place, but I just can't help myself..... GO STAR JONES REYNOLDS!!!!!!!!!!! Now before anyone goes off calling me a hypocrite, let me issue a disclaimer: I am not nor have I ever been a raging fan of the lovely Mrs. Gay, I mean Jones Reynolds. However, I just can't help but respect the way she handled the whole getting fired thing. First ABC decides not to renew her contract (which they were well within their rights to do) citing "ratings issues." But the episodes that they claimed were responsible for tanking the ratings (the ones where she was planning and gushing endlessly about her upcoming wedding) were actually the highest rated five episodes out of the top ten of the year (go figure). But Star sucked it up and she agreed with the network on a departure date of July 13. Apparently Barbara Walters spoke with Star in private and told her that she could make up whatever lie she wanted to avoid saying that she had been fired, and she would have the support of Ms. Walters and the entire ABC powers that be. But Star refused to let them off that easy and decided to leave the show on her own terms. So yesterday morning she halted the aged Ms. Walters mid-sentence and announced that secondary to the network's decision to "take the show in a different direction for their 10th season," she had decided to leave her position. That little announcement (which was supposed to take place on Thursday, June 28th according to her agreement with the network) was met with cries of "Oh my goodness! How shocking!" by her co=hosts. But was it really? EVERYONE at ABC knew that Star was leaving, and the only thing that was a surprise was that she grew some balls overnight and decided to do it the way SHE wanted to do it.
Now this morning Barbara Walters has told the New York Post that she feels "betrayed and hurt," and that she simply cannot undstand why Star would choose to announce her departure in such a public and ugly way. WHAT??????? Bitch, she was FIRED.... what did you want her to do? Sit through one of those foolish goodbye shows like the one they gave Meredith Viera and smile through it all???? HELL NO!!! And to top it all of, Ms. Walters called Star's agent and stated that she did not want Star to come to work today. So what does Mrs. Gay, I mean Jones Reynolds, do? She says THE HELL WITH IT...I ain't coming back at all.... BITCHES!!!!!!! Now that's what I'm talking about. She tried to handle it with dignity and grace. She took the unlubricated shaft up the ass without flinching, but she gets it yet again. So she bounced, and I have to say that I support her 100%. The View has since removed her picture from their website, their opening credits, and any official publications carrying their name - almost as if she never existed. DAMN!!!
I guess I am only captured by this story because people here in New York are going crazy over it, and also because I just can't stand to see the media trying to turn personal issues into a public lynching. Star Jone Reynolds was fired because of the haters... she lost a lot of weight, refused to talk about it publicly (and why should she?), and kept it moving while doing what she was paid to do: HER DAMN JOB!! And what does she get for her trouble? Angry white people. SIGH..... so like I said. I am still not a huge fan of Star Jones Reynolds, but I just can't help feeling bad for the way that she is being treated.

2 comments:

Jameil said...

not a fan of hers either. but i too was proud when she decided to leave on her terms. i was like, get it star! that was great. and barbara was ridiculous w/it. seriously. but star seriously didn't have to lie abt her weight tho. she said she lost it w/diet and exercise. now you know!! come on star!! you should've maintained your silence!!! it don't happen that quickly.

GreatWhyte said...

Well, you know, I thought so too. But she actually never said diet and exercise, she just let people draw their own conclusions.... her quote was that she had "medical intervention," she just wouldn't use the word surgery. Oh well, if her head just weren't so darn big, she would look great!!