Wednesday, January 11, 2006

If You Were an Orchestral Instrument, Which One Would You Be? (and other inane questions that people ask)

So here I am again - almost a month has passed since my last blog, and every time I realize that, I promise to do better. I made the same promise today, so we'll just see how that turns out.

Not so long ago, I went on a job interview for my residency next year, and all in all, I thought it went pretty well.... until the end. The residency director looked at me and said (in his most serious voice), "Now I am going to ask you the really hard questoin that we always save until the end of the interview. Are you ready?" What do you say to that? "Uh, no thanks. I need a cigarette first?" So I took a deep breath, looked him straight in the eye, and with my most "bring it on" voice, I said, "Absolutely." I'm anticipating a question like, "what are the side effects of some obscure new drug?," "describe for me how to dose gentamicin," or maybe even "describe for me your most challenging clinical intervention and how it was resolved." But no... this man asked me, "If you were an orchestral instrument, which one would you be and why?" Are you serious? (that should have been MY question!). I went on to come up with some stunningly profound and intellectually-stimulating answer that left him clamoring for my full name to write on his "to hire" form, but it left me thinking: why do people ask such inane questions? The more I thought about it, the more stupid questions/comments that people ask/say came to mind, so I figured I'd be generous and share some of them with you guys....
  • "You have such an interesting complexion... what breed are you?"
  • "Your hair is so long - is it all yours?"
  • (standing in line at the everything's a dollar store) "How much is this?"
  • (underneath the exit sign) "Can I go out through this door?"

Four short questions... there could be so many more, but the simple act of reviewing them in my mind gives me a headache. Why do people ask such dumb questions and then look so shocked when they get an equally dumb answer in response?

5 comments:

Jameil said...

the honor's college adviser asked everyone what animal they would be and why. i would say 90% said a cat. then she called us all unoriginal. umm... that was a dumb question. how bout you don't ask them. like you said. stupid question, stupid answer.

T Dot said...

What instrument did you tell him you'd be?

Oh, and the weirdest interview question for me was a statement. The interviewer looked at me and said "Tell me your story." I start telling her about journalism and where I am in my life and she stops me. Shakes her head. "No," she says. "Start with 'I was born ..."

Are you kidding me? It actually turned out to be a pretty fun interview though. :-)

GreatWhyte said...

I told him that I would be a cello... I was thinking a large instrument because I'm a six footer and all, but it actually evolved into a rather interesting response. He seemed impressed, so that was half the battle!
The haircut is cut, by the way - it seems to suit you.....

T Dot said...

Lol, I would have never thought of a cello - good answer! And thanks. I'm getting used to the cut while I grow out my perm. Those first naps are showing up and I'm trying not to freak out.

Summer G said...

*high fives u all up and THRU this email*

I always got the "What are you mixed with" question b/c my parents are Black (mom) and Latino/Filipino (dad)... but when i was little i just looked like a little mex/asian girl. My mama, being the typical STRONG BLACK WOMAN that she is, aggravated at (ignorant whites AND blacks) asking me "What are mixed with?" taught me to politely respond, "With my mama and my daddy" and look them square in the eyes when i said it.

I dont remember the reactions from way back then, but I still respond with that now when its someone who is CLEARLY being nosey/ugly/catty towards me. The facial expressions are PRICELESS, i swear.