Wednesday, August 23, 2006

I usually NEVER have this much to talk about in a 24-hour period of time, but I was surfing the Net on company time (SURPRISE), and I found this story: http://news.yahoo.com/s/eo/20060823/en_tv_eo/19833 To summarize, the new season of Survivor will segregate its contestants based on race. There will be four groups: Asians, African Americans, Hispanics, and whites. Now, I might be the last person ib the world to read this story, but it really rubbed me the wrong way. Does anyone else feel just a little exploited by a network television show segregating its participants for all the world to see? Inquiring minds want to know...

And along those same lines, why did my chief resident say to me the other day (with a perfectly straight face) that she is afraid of Black people? WHAT? Did she not realize that I am one of those people? And more importantly, is it EVER appropriate to make a statement that you are afraid of an entire race of people? Granted she is from Latvia, and she really doesn't seem to have a good grasp on what is and is not appropriate in our culture, but still.... "I am afraid of Black people?" Riiiiiight. One time she even said that a patient was so black that he was "almost blue," and that she had never seen anyone so dark before. Again, WHAT???

4 comments:

Jameil said...

shocked, appalled and disgusted at your latvian colleague. that is disgusting. i'm also disgusted by the fact that segregation is all of a sudden acceptable again. you heard about the school system in kansas i think it is? hispanic, black and white school systems in one city. oh hell no.

Adei von K said...

since you don't know me -actually, you might..I was a Rx major at HU...in the Pre-Pharm club w/ Gazi, etc I digress- I make this thing called the *face*. Its a disapproving, scowling, disgusted, "bitch mighta lost his mind" face. I made the *face* when I read abt ethnic group project on Survivor. Word???

As for your Latvian friend, when she got here, someone told her to stay away from us. I learned this in ESOL. They don't know any better and ask someone who looks like them, what the deal is. Unfortunately, she just happened to ask the Tonya (Real World) of her surroundings/the one person who has a friend whose cousin was mugged the night before or something like that...Asians are fearful as well.

As for the school thing J mentioned above, I take a Malcolm approach. I believe separation is better for us. I mean, its happening now anyway...step into a south florida school and ask to speak to a principal. I bet if you're in Tampa, she will respond in Greek. Orlando has "diverse" populated schools..(see:totally hispanic) and on and on. If you can get a teacher who looks like you and wants you to do better cause you can very well be her kin, I'm for it. The only problem is Separate But Equal. Save it for another post cause clearly, I can go on!!!

nikki said...

on the one hand i'm dismayed your colleague came with that statement. on the other hand, i think that provided a perfect opportunity for you to educate her.

of course we don't understand the ignorance of others. i damn sure don't understand how bush was elected for a second term. however, i figure i'm ignorant to their ignorance so i gotta ask to see how come folk believe or feel the way they do.

Setta B. said...

You have to love honesty. I'm glad she felt comfortable saying that to you. Hopefully, by interaction with you, other co-workers and patients, she'll relax her prejudices and reserve them for those who are real threats.