Thursday, July 27, 2006

When Keeping It Real Gets Expensive


New York City is an expensive place to live. Expensive to eat, expensive to drive, expensive to go out, but most of all, it is expensive to get your hair done. Now I know all you ladies out there are prbably saying, "Girl, go to the Dominicans! They can hook up a roller set for $25!" Well, my hair is too short for a roller set right now (or at least one that will look halfway decent), so I am stuck with going to my friend's stylist (who is actually quite good, just very expensive by VA standards). After getting my second paycheck of the new job, I have come to a very disturbing realization: I cannot afford to keep my hair up here the way I did at home (weekly trips to the salon with healthy tips for good service). So I have decided that I will have to work in monthly trips back to VA where I know I can get exactly what I want while simultaneously leaving with enough money to eat and put gas in my car. In the meantime, I have decided that keeping the real hair is just too much trouble, and I have been wearing wigs that my stylist at home made for me before I left. Of course everyone at work (all the white people and various people of Western European lineage) thinks that it is just "so cool the way that your hair curls up like that!!!" (like in the graduation picture from a previous blog). I guess only I know that my own hair is nestled comfortably underneath in a tight wrap :) So this morning, I switched it up and went straight. Oh Lord, why did I do that? "Oh my God!! How do you get your hair so straight?" "Oh Monique, I just love the blonde on top - you look kinda like... what's that rap girl.... Keshia Knight Pulliam?" (no, Becky. Her name is Keyshia Cole, if you must know). Or I also got, "Oooh... your hair is just so...." and then she made this gesture with her hand that I guess was supposed to mean "wow" or "ooh, ahh." SIGH.... when keeping it real gets expensive, sometimes you have to take one for the team (here's the hair from today).

2 comments:

Jameil said...

lmao!! now you know you can't do a monumental shift like that w/o multiple comments! hilarious. its very cute. i ordinarily hate blonde hair but i like it. plus you know white folk are inordinately obsessed w/black people's hair. i really don't get it but whatever. is it our fault we're fly?

La said...

HA! I did the same thing when I first moved to DC. I went back to Atl as much as humanly (and monetarily) as possible to get my hair done by the same guy that's been doing it since I was 12. And why are white people so awed by our hair? I am the color change queen and everytime I changed the color I had a white professor who had to touch it. If it wasn't for the fact that I loved him and he was so adorably clueless, I probably woulda been offended.